How Much does an f1 car cost
If you’ve ever watched a Formula One race, you may have wondered just how much it costs to design and build a Formula One car. You probably think it costs hundreds of thousands of dollars to build your own race car. You would be wrong. It actually costs well over $10 Million to design and build an average Formula One car.
One of the things that makes it so expensive to build these cars is that the International Automobile Federation is constantly making changes to the specs for these cars. Every year, they change the design rules just a little bit. This means racing teams are constantly spending money to upgrade or repair their Formula One cars.
Here, we’ll talk about how much it costs to build a Formula One race car from scratch. We’ll also touch a bit on how much it costs to repair one of these vehicles.
What is the Average Cost of a Formula One Race Car?
If you’re thinking about building your own Formula One car, you better start saving now because it costs an average of $12.2 Million to build one. Of course, these cars are built by racing teams – not individuals. The bigger the race team, the more cars they’re going to have. Given the fact that it can cost well over $10 Million to build just one vehicle, you can imagine how much these teams spend every year.
Most racing teams budget about $250-$350 million a year to spend on new cars, parts, and repairs. Teams like Ferrari, McLaren and Red Bull spend even more – about $400 million. And this is with their connections. The bigger teams can get some discounts on some parts and the engine. Still, it costs over $400 million on average every year to maintain its fleet of Formula One cars.
Breakdown of Cost Based on Formula One Component Parts
Unlike other sports cars, you don’t just go to a car dealership and buy a Formula One racing car. The car has to be designed and built to specifications. There are professionals out there who are qualified to build Formula One cars. The reason these cars are so expensive is that you have to pay for the component parts. Here, we’ll talk about these parts and give you an idea of how much each cost.
- Engine – The most important part of a Formula One car is the engine. After all, the engine is what determines just how fast a car can go. The typical Formula One engine costs about $10.5 million. Since the engine is so delicate, it’s important that it be built to perfection.
- Steering Wheel – Everyone knows what a steering wheel does. It’s what allows the race car driver to control the car on the track. A good steering wheel costs about $50,000. That’s more than most people spend on a brand-new car!
- Hydraulics – These basically control the fluids in a car. Because Formula One cars run so fast, it’s important that all the fluids are running smoothly. A standard hydraulic system costs about $170,000.
- Tires – When you buy tires for a Formula One race car, you don’t just go to the local tire store. There are 3 different types of tires you need in any one race. And, the rules state that you can’t drive on the same tires for more than 20,000 miles. A single set of tires can run you close to $2,000.
- Cooling system – A good cooling system is essential for a Formula One race car. They can run you anywhere up to $220,000. Given the fact that these cars get pretty hot while on the track, it’s critical that you have a state-of-the-art cooling system.
- Fuel tank – Most people know what a fuel tank is. Surprisingly, the fuel tank for a Formula One car costs about $140,000. These cars don’t run on normal premium unleaded gas. It’s important that the fuel tank be top-notch.
These are the basic parts of a race car. However, there are special parts that are specific to race cars. Every car needs a steering wheel. But only race cars need things like gearboxes and front wings. In the next section, we’ll talk about what these things are and how much they cost. It Costs About $655K for the Enhancements on a Formula One Race Car
When it comes to race cars, there are certain parts that you just don’t see on a regular car. Sure, there are some street racing cars that have special effects and components. Here, we’re going to talk about 3 major components that help a Formula One race car win the race.
- Front Wing – This is what balances the race car when it takes those sharp turns. If you’ve ever watched Formula One racing, you know these tracks can be pretty tricky. In order to perform in a race, the car needs to be able to handle these turns. The front wing is what makes this possible. They are very expensive and cost about $150,000. That’s more than the cost of any high-end sports car.
- Rear Wing – These do the same work as the front wing and can cost up to $65,000. They don’t have as much a role as the front wing, but they do control movement on the back end of the vehicle.
- Gearbox – This is similar to a manual transmission. However, it’s set up differently for a race car driver. The gear shifts are actually on either side of the steering wheel. This allows the Formula One racer to shift on the fly and navigate the tricky race track. A good gearbox costs at least $440,000.
How About that Exterior?
When we’re talking about the exterior of a Formula One race car, we call it the carbon fiber. These include the aerodynamics that makes a race car go so fast. The lighter the carbon fiber, the faster the car is going to go. In Formula One racing, the carbon fiber is not allowed to weigh any more than 733kg.
The average carbon fiber for a Formula One car is about $650,000. You would actually think it costs a bit more than this given the total cost for the car is over $12 Million. But when you consider that more than $10 Million is spent on the engine, it makes sense that the exterior of the car would cost more than half a million dollars.
Are Repairs on a Formula One Racing Car Expensive?
If you’ve ever seen any car race, you know that the pit teams have to perform repairs throughout the race. On top of that, many cars need to be repaired off-track throughout the season.
The average cost to repair a Formula One race car is about $550,000. When you add this into the total cost of a new car, you can see why teams spent close to $300 Million a year on their cars.